Re: dependency changes

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 09:16:55 EST

    >> A better change would be to support nested dependencies, but this
    >> would require both a change to the framework Info.plist (to declare
    >> dependent framework names), embedding (to include nested
    >> dependencies), and the code that constructs the runtime classpath
    >> (or a change to WOBoostrap to load nested automatically rather than
    >> declare them in the macosxclasspath file).
    >
    > Wouldn't it be easier if we use a dependency management tool like Ivy?
    For some definitions of "easier" I guess ... Ivy is only jar-based,
    right? Which would require jar-based frameworks, but jar-based
    frameworks don't support nested jars. Q has a WOBootstrap that does,
    but we're still talking about changing the way a large number of
    people deploy their apps. Not to mention we have to then integrate
    Ivy with WOLips, not to mention it has to work in Eclipse also. That
    and I'm not even really sold on jar frameworks, though the better
    split install build.xml makes it slightly better I guess. I still
    come back to "make it easy for people" .... Ivy's certainly an option,
    and I'm not at all ruling it out, but I'm always sort of skeptical of
    the final result of these things actually being a better experience
    for endusers of the system.

    ms