Re: dependency changes

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 13:34:21 EST

    Hi Mike,

    Mike Schrag wrote:
    > For some definitions of "easier" I guess ... Ivy is only jar-based,
    > right?

    I'm not an Ivy user. But I guess it supports multiple types, since
    someone can configure the type and the extension of an artifact as
    described here[1]. You can have a zip or tar.gz for each framework.

    Anyway, Maven Ant Tasks can also be used for dependency management. And
    I know Maven supports other types of artifact.

    > Which would require jar-based frameworks, but jar-based
    > frameworks don't support nested jars.

    Why do you need a nested jar? If you have a description of transitive
    dependencies, couldn't you just download everything required to build
    the project and put it together? Do you have a use case where this
    solution doesn't work?

    > Q has a WOBootstrap that does,
    > but we're still talking about changing the way a large number of people
    > deploy their apps. Not to mention we have to then integrate Ivy with
    > WOLips, not to mention it has to work in Eclipse also.

    What about IvyDE [2]? Maybe it can solve almost all of your problems. :)
    (Again, I've never used this tool).

    > That and I'm not
    > even really sold on jar frameworks, though the better split install
    > build.xml makes it slightly better I guess. I still come back to "make
    > it easy for people" .... Ivy's certainly an option, and I'm not at all
    > ruling it out, but I'm always sort of skeptical of the final result of
    > these things actually being a better experience for endusers of the system.

    I'm not trying to sell Ivy or Maven Ant Tasks, because I have never used
    any of them. But I'm a long time Maven user. I cannot imagine how people
    can develop nowadays without a good tool for dependency management. And
    when I say dependency management, I mean all dependencies of a project.
    Not only WO frameworks. If I was an Ant user, I'll prefer to have a
    complete solution for the dependency management problem, even if I have
    some trouble to learn it in the beginning.

    [1]http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/dependency-artifact.html
    [2]http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/

    Cheers,

    Henrique