Re: dependency changes

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2008 - 17:18:25 EST

    On 08/11/2008, at 5:52 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >>> Which would require jar-based frameworks, but jar-based frameworks
    >>> don't support nested jars.
    >>
    >> Why do you need a nested jar? If you have a description of
    >> transitive dependencies, couldn't you just download everything
    >> required to build the project and put it together? Do you have a
    >> use case where this solution doesn't work?
    > An issue of perspective, I suppose ... There's something nice about
    > being able to distribute a framework that has its dependencies
    > packaged nicely inside of it. I recognize there are definitely
    > potential conflict issues with this, though.

    sure.

    >>> Q has a WOBootstrap that does, but we're still talking about
    >>> changing the way a large number of people deploy their apps. Not
    >>> to mention we have to then integrate Ivy with WOLips, not to
    >>> mention it has to work in Eclipse also.

    Sure. I can't speak for ivy, but installing m2eclipse or q4e is pretty
    painless.

    >>> That and I'm not even really sold on jar frameworks,

    I personally preferred jar frameworks because until more recently you
    could only have one set of frameworks active at a time. But you're not
    limited to jars with maven as Henrique mentioned.

    >>> though the better split install build.xml makes it slightly better
    >>> I guess. I still come back to "make it easy for people" ....
    >>> Ivy's certainly an option, and I'm not at all
    >>> ruling it out, but I'm always sort of skeptical of the final
    >>> result of these things actually being a better experience for
    >>> endusers of the system.
    >>
    >> I'm not trying to sell Ivy or Maven Ant Tasks, because I have never
    >> used any of them. But I'm a long time Maven user. I cannot imagine
    >> how people can develop nowadays without a good tool for dependency
    >> management. And when I say dependency management, I mean all
    >> dependencies of a project. Not only WO frameworks. If I was an Ant
    >> user, I'll prefer to have a complete solution for the dependency
    >> management problem, even if I have some trouble to learn it in the
    >> beginning.
    > The problem is that all these tools suck ... The ramp up time is
    > totally obnoxious. I feel like I'm a reasonably smart dude, and
    > every time people start explaining Maven, my eyes glaze over.

    At the risk of repeating the experience... (just some food for thought)

    > I'm sure once you get over the hump it does its job quite well, but
    > WO itself is so complicated that I think we really need to focus on
    > making the "zero state" of the tools help the process, and telling
    > people they need to understand Ivy or Maven dependency management in
    > order to deploy their apps is this huge uphill battle we shove into
    > the experience. I don't have a good answer to all these issues ....
    > I mean, I really don't want to reinvent Maven (or Ivy), but on the
    > flip side, I want WebObjects developers to both be able to start
    > working relatively easily as well as support power users. Oh well ...

    You might be able to have both. As you said - and we all know it -
    you're a reasonably smart guy. But we're hearing "it can't be done"
    again ;-)

    If it can't be done you can stop reading ... but *if* it can...
    Why can't you provide a high-level view/editor to an underlying
    dependency-management system like maven? As I understand it, you're
    already allowing people to maintain/edit the woframeworks they depend
    on - including the ordering and such of each. So that sounds to me
    like all you're doing (in effect) is shuffling entries like the
    following via a gui, no?

    <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                    <artifactId>foo</artifactId>
                    <groupId>foo</groupId>
            </dependency>
    </dependencies>
    Is that so hard to create a wizard for?

    Ant can easily utilise the dependencies from maven too:
    http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/index.html
    http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/index.html

    with regards,

    --