Re: Documentation on Maven Archetypes

From: Juergen Lorenz Simon (simo..ebtecc.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 04:13:09 EST

    Hi,

    On 17.11.2008, at 21:13, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > On 17/11/2008, at 10:31 PM, Juergen Lorenz Simon wrote:
    >
    >> I've been trying to get Maven integration up for some projects. I
    >> found a few
    >> rough edges in the documentation, especially the Wiki.
    >
    > Feel free to contribute where applicable.

    Once I wrapped my head around it and stop asking stupid questions.

    >> When following the route given,
    >
    > From where or whom?

    WOProject Wiki, Sections on Maven, especially QuickStart and the guide
    on
    using maven archetypes for WebObjects.

    >> I was not able to generate archetypes. Here are a few things I
    >> had to change, in order to make this work:
    >>
    >> - The archetype:create goal is deprecated. archetype:generate seems
    >> to be the valid command now.
    >
    > I can only see a reference to archetype:create on the wiki for a
    > deprecated plugin (which I've just adjusted)... but otherwise I
    > can't see on our wiki a reference to using archetype:create(?)

    Can't seem to find it again. :-? I've read so much documentation on
    Maven these
    past days, must have confused something. My apologies.

    >> - After adding the archetypes to the archetype-catalog.xml, I was
    >> unable to
    >> create projects from archetypes. I found out, that i need to add a
    >> repository
    >> (not just pluginRepository) to the .m2/settings.xml.
    >
    > No. This is only needed in your project's pom file (which can be
    > better as it's kept within your version control). Maven doesn't need
    > to know about your repositories - though there's no harm in doing so
    > - for you to be able to generate the project AFAIK.

    I understand. However, somehow this does not work for me. When
    generating the
    archetype, maven seemed to wantin' downloadin' something (for the
    archetype) and
    could not find it. That is why I added it to the local repository's
    settings.xml. I was
    creating the archetypes from the command line, if that makes any
    difference.

    >> And in the bottom section of my settings.xml, I found the
    >> following section
    >> where something needed adding:
    >>
    >> <activeProfiles>
    >> <activeProfile>xwiki</activeProfile>
    >> <activeProfile>webobjects</activeProfile>
    >> </activeProfiles>
    >
    > Where'd you get that from?

    I did not start setting Maven up from the WOLips side of things. I'm
    integrating XWiki
    into a WebObjects project. So my first contact with the Maven setup
    was the Xwiki's
    guide, and that included this section. I found that when I got
    multiple profiles and do
    not add them to the list of active profiles, they are not used. Maybe
    that only applies
    if you actually have that section. I'm still quite new to the Maven
    business.

    >> - The archetype-catalog.xml attached to the following wiki page:
    >> http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/woapplication-archetype
    >> states 2.0.16-SNAPSHOT as version. I had to change the version to
    >> 2.0.16
    >
    > I've updated that. Thanks.

    No, thank you. :-P

    Best Regards,