Weird WOD commenting bug?

From: Andrew R. Kinnie (akinni..ac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 15:37:41 EST

  • Next message: Sebastien Sahuc (JIRA): "[OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-916) Debug: Can't step in java code when framework isn't open in workspace (loaded through Roots)"

    I have been pulling my hair out for the past two days trying to figure
    out a bug. I was getting exceptions at runtime telling me that the
    WOHTML parser could not find a component or class named: "someClass"
    when in fact, there was a perfectly good webobject tag in the html
    with the name "someClass" and a perfectly good someClass declared and
    bound in the WOD.

    I changed it to an inline binding, and it would not cause that
    exception, but would blow up the same way on some other webobject
    named "somethingElse" despite the fact that that also existed in the
    WOD. Again, I could change it to inline and it worked fine (and blew
    up on yet another one).

    I had not changed these objects or their declarations in the wod in a
    week or more, and they worked fine before. I also hadn't changed my
    preferences in weeks.

    After all this time, I discovered that they seem to be reliably
    reproducible if I add a comment after a binding in the wod (note: the
    exception never points to this particular declared webobject, but some
    other perfectly good one). Basically, I was changing the list binding
    on a WORepetition to a method returning an array from a keypath which
    returned an array. Just to be safe <?> I commented the keypath and
    added the method as the key before it. e.g. list = mymethod; // my
    old keypath

    I removed the comment and the exception goes away and everything
    works. I add some other comment to that line and the problem
    returns. Meanwhile, the syntax coloring makes these comments look
    like comments should, but the comment apparently causes psychosis (and
    not just mine).

    Any insight?

    Andrew Kinnie