Re: WOLips perhaps not building...

From: Ray Kiddy (ra..anymede.org)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2008 - 23:42:37 EST

    On Nov 23, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Q wrote:

    > On 24/11/2008, at 1:08 PM, Ray Kiddy wrote:
    >

    >> On Oct 23, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Q wrote:
    >>
    >>> Our internal build server it configured to build WOLips nightlies
    >>> and getting it to work (and keep working over time) is something
    >>> of an art. You need to have a couple of dependencies available
    >>> that you might not otherwise have installed in your day to day
    >>> copy of eclipse, or may not be the version currently available
    >>> from the update sites.
    >>>
    >>> In your case you need jprofiler, but you will also need M2E 0.9.4
    >>> to build successfully.
    >>>
    >>> Unless you are building a custom version of WOLips for some
    >>> reason I would suggest just using the nighties from the
    >>> mdimension site.
    >>>

    >> I tried adding something and this, of course, requires that I
    >> build WOLips. I was able to do this by adding two lines to my
    >> wobuild.properties file:
    >>
    >> wolips.no.jbuilder=true
    >> wolips.no.maven=true
    >>
    >> And then the diff below. After all, are JProfiler and Maven
    >> required to use WOLips? I would suggest not. And if somebody wants
    >> to build WOLips in the usual way, they can do nothing and the
    >> default is to require JProfiler and Maven. Not everyone needs to
    >> use these.
    >
    > They aren't required to use WOLips, but they are required to build
    > a valid site deployment when using the ant builds. Eclipse can for
    > some reason get very confused if there are plugins listed in the
    > site.xml but are missing from the output, even if you don't
    > explicitly try and install them.
    >
    > I almost never build wolips locally using ant. Exporting the
    > modified plugin or feature from eclipse is pretty simple (although
    > doing so does mess with the ant build files).

    I wanted to test with a code change. How does one do that if one
    cannot use a locally built copy of WOLips?

    Actually, I am getting stopped by something first. I can uninstall
    WOLips in the 'Software Updates' window, by selecting "WOLips",
    "WOLips Base", "WOLips Goodies Mac", "WOLips Goodies Win", "WOLips
    Third Party Feature" and clicking <Uninstall>. Then when I quit and
    re-launch Eclipse, I get an alert:

            The Eclipse executable was unable to locate its companion shared
    library.

    So, I cannot uninstall? I tried upgrading to the latest and then
    uninstalling, and I got the same thing?

    And why the heck do I have "WOLips Goodies Win"? I am on a Mac OS X
    machine. I do not need any Windows cruft. Apparently turning off
    parts of an installation is not very easy. It's just easier to give
    everyone Windows bits? Hm. So, you can add features like Maven, and
    JProfile support and then never turn them off?

    - ray