Re: Nightly => Stable?

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 15:25:11 EST

    On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Michael DeMan (WO) wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > At first I didn't think this would be a problem for the projects I
    > regularly work on, mostly some work to migrate them over to 3.4 +
    > nightly, but then I discovered a lot of lengthy custom build scripts
    > require the old 'stable' version of WOLips.
    >
    > I am wondering, would it be possible to move to a release set like...
    >
    > stable33 - current stable, that works with eclipse 3.3 in case it
    > is needed. EOL it when eclipe 3.3 is EOL?
    >
    > stable - find a nice version of nightly to cut over?
    >
    > stable34 - same as stable (symlink ?), until eclipse 3.5 comes out?
    >
    > nightly - the latest/greatest?
    >

    > I am not 100% how the eclipse PlugIn architecture would work for
    > this. My biggest concern is potentially the need to support older
    > projects that are heavily dependent on the older less-than-glamorous
    > woproject.jar from 3.3/stable. For instance, I could envision in a
    > year, needing to install 'old eclipse 3.3 + wolips' fresh on a
    > laptop to be able to work on some older projects quickly.

    I am in a similar situation. We have lots of old projects with
    customized builds that we will need to go back to and work on at some
    point. I have also migrated more than a dozen to new hotness. For
    myself, I decided that the minor changes needed were well worth the
    benefits of New Hotness. When we go back to these old projects, we
    will upgrade their build. This is easier now than previously as Ant
    support an "import" command as of version 1.6: http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/import.html
       Using this allows the common parts of build files (e.g. most of
    them) to be extracted and reused. This can make your build process
    easier to understand and maintain (as there is only one
    implementation) and also ease conversion to New Hotness.

    Chuck

    --
    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development