Re: Renaming component breaks editor

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 17:36:06 EST

    > I have filed bugs in JIRA about this. See http://issues.objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-927
    > . I provide links, in that bug, to the dozen or so other bugs that
    > relate to this ball or yarn.
    Not to be picky here, but I don't see any of the bugs in that list
    that explain what he is seeing. Only one of those even has an
    outright exception associated with it and that was a UI-related one.

    > The only way I have found to do this is:
    I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, but I refactor components all
    the time without problems (other than the known limitations that
    WOLips doesn't rename references in other WOD files, mainly just
    because it's incredibly expensive to do so right now). I just
    refactor=>rename on the java file.

    > Sucks, doesn't it? But this is literally the only way to do it that
    > I have found that does not cause problems. One could theoretically
    > do all of these changes in eclipse. It is tempting to try. But when
    > you mess up, and you will occasionally mess up, eclipse will never
    > give you back what you had. You may end up tearing down and re-
    > building the whole project. So, really, I have found it is not worth
    > it to try to do this in eclipse.
    Also for the record, I've NEVER had this. I can't fathom a case that
    would require rebuilding your entire project. I know that metadata
    like problems are persistent in project metadata, but I can't think of
    anything related to WOLips that uses a persistent cache.

    >> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
    >> at org.eclipse.ui.part.FileEditorInput.<init>(FileEditorInput.java:
    >> 50)
    >> at
    >> org
    >> .objectstyle
    >> .wolips
    >> .components
    >> .input
    >> .ComponentEditorFileEditorInput
    >> .<init>(ComponentEditorFileEditorInput.java:13)
    >> at
    >> org
    >> .objectstyle
    >> .wolips
    >> .components
    >> .input.ComponentEditorInput.create(ComponentEditorInput.java:110)
    >> at
    >> org
    >> .objectstyle
    >> .wolips
    >> .components
    >> .input.ComponentEditorInput.create(ComponentEditorInput.java:188)
    >> at
    >> org
    >> .objectstyle
    >> .wolips
    >> .components
    >> .input
    >> .ComponentEditorInput.createWithDotHtml(ComponentEditorInput.java:
    >> 196)
    >> at
    >> org
    >> .objectstyle
    >> .wolips
    >> .componenteditor.part.ComponentEditor.init(ComponentEditor.java:139)
    How exactly did you do this refactoring (what exactly was the
    procedure you followed)? Ray's bug is correct that WOLips (/Eclipse)
    doesn't fundamentally understand bundles -- everything you're seeing
    is a thin veneer in wolips to try to make them move around together.
    It has some really nasty pitfalls involved in it, though, which you
    have obviously stumbled on. This exception happens when the
    referenced file is null, which is particularly odd in this case since
    it only gets into the if (..) statement by checking the file extension
    of the file. I would be VERY interested to know the names of the
    files in that .wo bundle -- do they have different names than the
    containing .wo? A lot of this part is going to get an overhaul when I
    add support in wolips for bundleless components, so hopefully this
    will make things a little bit more reliable.

    ms