Re: Renaming component breaks editor

From: Ray Kiddy (ra..anymede.org)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 20:00:46 EST

    On Jan 19, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Q wrote:

    > Refactoring a component should work correctly provided you use the
    > "Refactor -> WO Component..." function to do it. I wrote the code in
    > wolips to do it, it works for me, I do it all the time.
    >
    > On 20/01/2009, at 8:10 AM, Ray Kiddy wrote:
    >

    >> I have filed bugs in JIRA about this. See http://issues.objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-927
    >> . I provide links, in that bug, to the dozen or so other bugs that
    >> relate to this ball or yarn.
    >
    > I don't see anything in there that relates directly to this issue.
    > Can you be more specific.

    There is no way (that I see) to relate bugs in JIRA, so this was my
    attempt to group these bugs. The criteria I used was this. As I looked
    through the list of bugs about WOComponent editing, was it possible
    (and I guessed here) that the bug is caused or made worse by the fact
    that one can do something to one part of a WOComponent and something
    does not happen to the other parts of that WOComponent.

    So, for example:

    http://issues.objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-727 - Component Editor
    not displaying / seeing validation errors on localized components
    http://issues.objectstyle.org/jira/browse/WOL-181 - If API is changed
    externally, the WOD files do not get checked for errors

    These are both probably from the fact that the validator is checking
    one resource within the WOComponent, or watching for edits or changed
    modification dates on one resource within the WOComponent and not
    realizing when some other part of the WOComponent has been changed.
    So, things that should cause a validation check are not. This is just
    a guess, but it _is_ a common fault pattern for this kind of
    "partially-shimmed" technology.

    The others are similar. Again, these are just guesses. If you look at
    the list of bugs in WOL-927 and see bugs which would not be affected
    by a "unification" of the WOComponent object, please update that bug
    and say why? Btw, that's not an order, just a request. I understand
    when people do not have time to parse through bug systems like these.
    I can only do it occasionally, given the fact that the searching in
    this JIRA instance seems clumsy and I always seem to end up manually
    reading through 40 or 50 bugs to find something. Maybe I just cannot
    find the search terms to help me narrow down what I am searching for.

    - ray