Re: WOLips Development prefs

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 11:52:11 EST

    > Is there no middle ground?
    There was middle ground for years, and it led to a lot of confusion as
    there is basically no standardization in WO projects pre-2008, and the
    tools to support that insanity were themselves insane.

    > I agree with Mike/Anjo/Chuck that supporting endless configurability
    > is not a very good idea. In this case; if I comply and restructure
    > my project layout I lose 8 years of cvs history - not happy about
    > that!
    All changes have trade-offs, and it sucks to lose historical data, I
    know. At the moment, there is no requirement to change, but it will
    likely become progressively more difficult to stay the way you are.
    Switching to SVN is one option here -- you could svn import your cvs
    history then do renames. I know this is not an option for some people,
    and you'll just have to decide what make sense for your projects at
    that point.

    > How did you decide which project structure to support? To me a WO
    > project is primarily a Java project. I've seen few Java projects
    > with a layout that match Wonder projects. If I create a new blank
    > Java project in eclipse I get a 'src' and a 'bin' folder. Seems
    > natural to me to have a 'lib' folder...
    The non-maven layout (FBL) was based on Project Wonder's project
    organization, as it was the largest open WO project at the time, and
    its structure mode a lot of sense for us for several reasons. For
    Maven, as I understand it, the it is the same annoying layout as all
    maven projects ;) This was discussed on the wolips list quite a while
    ago, and it has made life quite a bit easier for the people who
    continually provide support to people in the WO community. Just go
    look at the list archives from when WOLips supported arbitrary project
    layouts.

    > Mike said he will support two project layouts - Wonder and Maven.
    > How will this dual layout be supported?
    I don't know yet.

    > Is it possible to let Wonder/Maven define which things need to be
    > configurable, but let individual users do the actual configuration
    > (it could be something that is neither Wonder nor Maven compliant)?
    You can configure whatever you want using whatever techniques are
    available to you (custom maven mojopluginarchitypes or custom ant
    scripts in non-maven), I'm just not guaranteeing that everything in
    WOLips is going to work if you do. If you stick with the recommended
    approaches, you're going to be in the mainline of development and odds
    are things will work more smoothly long term. I'm not going to go out
    of my way to break people using other layouts, but if a feature is
    substantially easier to implement presuming a certain layout, standard
    layouts are going to win.

    > Great tools are not characterized by "zero flexibility" but by
    > careful considerations of requirements and trade-offs.
    I agree completely, and we arrived at this decision by careful
    consideration of requirements and trade-offs.

    ms