Re: WOLips Development prefs

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 14:10:05 EST

    On Feb 2, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    >> Is there no middle ground?
    > There was middle ground for years, and it led to a lot of confusion
    > as there is basically no standardization in WO projects pre-2008,
    > and the tools to support that insanity were themselves insane.
    >
    >> I agree with Mike/Anjo/Chuck that supporting endless
    >> configurability is not a very good idea. In this case; if I comply
    >> and restructure my project layout I lose 8 years of cvs history -
    >> not happy about that!
    > All changes have trade-offs, and it sucks to lose historical data, I
    > know. At the moment, there is no requirement to change, but it will
    > likely become progressively more difficult to stay the way you are.
    > Switching to SVN is one option here -- you could svn import your cvs
    > history then do renames. I know this is not an option for some
    > people, and you'll just have to decide what make sense for your
    > projects at that point.

    FWIW, we did not use the FBL layout either. There was some work to
    move (lots of projects and custom Ant scripts) and we did lose some
    history, but I feel the benefits in ease of use and lack of problems
    justify this.

    >> How did you decide which project structure to support? To me a WO
    >> project is primarily a Java project. I've seen few Java projects
    >> with a layout that match Wonder projects. If I create a new blank
    >> Java project in eclipse I get a 'src' and a 'bin' folder. Seems
    >> natural to me to have a 'lib' folder...
    > The non-maven layout (FBL) was based on Project Wonder's project
    > organization, as it was the largest open WO project at the time, and
    > its structure mode a lot of sense for us for several reasons. For
    > Maven, as I understand it, the it is the same annoying layout as all
    > maven projects ;) This was discussed on the wolips list quite a
    > while ago, and it has made life quite a bit easier for the people
    > who continually provide support to people in the WO community. Just
    > go look at the list archives from when WOLips supported arbitrary
    > project layouts.

    Truth! I'd much rather spend time looking at "real" problems.

    Chuck

    --
    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development