Re: WOLips Development prefs

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2009 - 16:45:47 EST

    Just a progress report...

    I've been working on the dialog and it's functioning pretty well now
    with the basic enhancement. I've just got a bit more to do to clean up
    loose ends and a background exception that's occurring (doesn't effect
    creation but with revealing the stuff afterwards).

    I'm also starting to have a look at the standard Java Class Wizard's
    features as it's got some useful stuff too that would be quite useful
    to incorporate. There's a lot of screen real-estate that's taken up in
    the current component wizard with the explorer. But I can come back to
    this part after getting the above finished off.

    I'll keep you posted on progress. I'll have some patches by week's end.

    On 03/02/2009, at 2:06 AM, Anders Peterson wrote:

    > Lachlan Deck wrote:
    >> On 01/02/2009, at 8:44 PM, Anjo Krank wrote:
    >>> I don't like it.
    >> Well I'm looking for discussion about how to enhance wolips as a
    >> tool in order to make things workable for those not using ant etc
    >> or allowing wolips to just work with legacy projects... without
    >> adding problems to existing projects.
    >>
    >> Certainly I'm not aiming to make things more difficult.
    >
    > Is there no middle ground?
    >
    > I agree with Mike/Anjo/Chuck that supporting endless configurability
    > is not a very good idea. In this case; if I comply and restructure
    > my project layout I lose 8 years of cvs history - not happy about
    > that!
    >
    > How did you decide which project structure to support? To me a WO
    > project is primarily a Java project. I've seen few Java projects
    > with a layout that match Wonder projects. If I create a new blank
    > Java project in eclipse I get a 'src' and a 'bin' folder. Seems
    > natural to me to have a 'lib' folder...
    >
    > Mike said he will support two project layouts - Wonder and Maven.
    > How will this dual layout be supported?
    >
    > Is it possible to let Wonder/Maven define which things need to be
    > configurable, but let individual users do the actual configuration
    > (it could be something that is neither Wonder nor Maven compliant)?
    >
    > Great tools are not characterized by "zero flexibility" but by
    > careful considerations of requirements and trade-offs.
    >
    > /Anders

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck