Re: WOLips Development prefs

From: Jephte CLAIN (Jephte.Clai..niv-reunion.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 05:13:09 EST

    Anders Peterson a écrit :
    > Lachlan Deck wrote:
    >> On 01/02/2009, at 8:44 PM, Anjo Krank wrote:
    >>> I don't like it.
    >> Well I'm looking for discussion about how to enhance wolips as a tool
    >> in order to make things workable for those not using ant etc or
    >> allowing wolips to just work with legacy projects... without adding
    >> problems to existing projects.
    >>
    >> Certainly I'm not aiming to make things more difficult.
    >
    > Is there no middle ground?
    >
    > I agree with Mike/Anjo/Chuck that supporting endless configurability is
    > not a very good idea. In this case; if I comply and restructure my
    > project layout I lose 8 years of cvs history - not happy about that!
    >
    > How did you decide which project structure to support? To me a WO
    > project is primarily a Java project. I've seen few Java projects with a
    > layout that match Wonder projects. If I create a new blank Java project
    > in eclipse I get a 'src' and a 'bin' folder. Seems natural to me to have
    > a 'lib' folder...
    >
    > Mike said he will support two project layouts - Wonder and Maven. How
    > will this dual layout be supported?
    >
    > Is it possible to let Wonder/Maven define which things need to be
    > configurable, but let individual users do the actual configuration (it
    > could be something that is neither Wonder nor Maven compliant)?
    >
    > Great tools are not characterized by "zero flexibility" but by careful
    > considerations of requirements and trade-offs.

    There is also the case where you have frameworks shared between several
    project types: why should the framework modeled after wolips way if it
    has to be used and/or *maintained* elsewhere?

    At least for frameworks, I vote for configurability.
    For applications, I agree that conventions wins over configuration.

    with regards,
    jephté clain

    PS: my current application/project have two webobjects specific
    frameworks, that I changed to match the wolips way, as I have chosen
    wolips over my previous build tools. But it depends also on 6 other
    frameworks that are not webobjects specific. it is a pain to use them
    with wolips. I ended up deploy them and tell wolips to use the binary
    framework. But I would like to tell wolips to use the *source*
    framework, to be able to fix them directly, or navigate the dependencies
    with eclipse.