Re: WOLips Development prefs

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 10:17:58 EST

    > There is also the case where you have frameworks shared between
    > several project types: why should the framework modeled after wolips
    > way if it has to be used and/or *maintained* elsewhere?
    Use binary frameworks with src jars in them if you're not maintaining
    the source in WOLips.

    > At least for frameworks, I vote for configurability.
    > For applications, I agree that conventions wins over configuration.
    You're really voting for "configurability enough to make YOUR
    frameworks work." The general case of "configurability" is a huge
    nightmare, because people make crazy project layouts. If we need to
    know which folders contain Components, in the Maven and FBL type, this
    is very easy to answer. Once you remove that restriction, it becomes a
    huge pain. Do you have one top level Components folder? Do you have
    10? Maybe you put your components next to your java files in your
    source tree -- the old patternset approach would technically allow
    this to happen, but as a result, the tools have a very difficult time
    making reasonable guesses about defaults, etc.

    > PS: my current application/project have two webobjects specific
    > frameworks, that I changed to match the wolips way, as I have chosen
    > wolips over my previous build tools. But it depends also on 6 other
    > frameworks that are not webobjects specific.
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean ... You have frameworks that
    aren't WO-specific? I'm guessing you're using the term "framework"
    loosely here? Do you just mean you have a project dependency that
    isn't a WO framework at all (i.e. just ends up as a regular java
    jar?)? If you don't have Components and WebServerResources and all
    the things that make a framework a Framework, then you would link to
    it just like any other Java Project (just add a project dependency).
    You'll need to either use something like Maven or add some custom ant
    build steps to get the jars in a place that your WO app can use them,
    but the current WOLips doesn't provide anything specific for this
    either. I link against non-WO frameworks without any problems.

    ms