Re: WOLips Development prefs

From: Jephte CLAIN (Jephte.Clai..niv-reunion.fr)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2009 - 08:19:51 EST

    Lachlan Deck a écrit :
    > On 06/02/2009, at 11:09 PM, Jephte CLAIN wrote:
    >
    >> I use "framework" to mean "library". But I'd like that library to be
    >> built as a WebObjects framework, so I use the term "framework".
    >
    > This seems completely contradictory. i.e., if it's not a WebObjects
    > framework then what exactly do you mean by 'built as a WebObjects
    > framework'?

    I mean built as a Framework bundle with the jar in Resources/Java.

    >> Yes, but the generated
    >> App.woa/Contents/{MacOS,UNIX,Windows}/*ClassPath*.txt are wrong (they
    >> do not include the lines for the frameworks I build for these libraries.)
    >>
    >>> You'll need to
    >>> either use something like Maven
    >
    > Which will do this just fine btw. i.e., generated classpath.txt is
    > correct for every jar project I care to add as a dependency.

    Ok.
    And that mean one more build system to include in the chain, or migrate
    my projects to use Maven :-)

    >>> or add some custom ant build steps to get the jars in a place that
    >>> your WO app can use them, but the current WOLips doesn't provide
    >>> anything specific for this either. I link against non-WO frameworks
    >>> without any problems.
    >>
    >> I'd like something that means "build this java project as a webobjects
    >> framework, and link to it like a webobjects framework, even though it
    >> looks like a plain old java project"
    >>
    >> You're right, the solution for now is to add custom ant build steps
    >> (This is what I do), but I'd like the wolips builder to handle this
    >> situation as well.
    >
    > Sounds like a reasonable request on the face of it. Realistically, I
    > think Mike's seeing the potential blow-out and drain of resources this
    > could potentially pull as there's lots of different project types, and
    > with them configurations, that are potential targets for inclusion. So,
    > in this regard, to ask for that level of support, i.e., essentially a
    > universal build system, from the woproject team is a distraction from
    > it's main focus and possibly asking a bit much... unless you wanna chip
    > in and do it ;-).

    I feel like doing it. But I don't have the time for the moment. I have
    modified Wolips just enough to include some process I used in my ant
    scripts.

    once I can get more time, I may learn eclipse plugin development a bit
    more and start contributing to the wolips community.

    > The main focus of the wolips team, thus far at least, has been with
    > providing a great set of tools for development purposes. When you need
    > more than this, i.e., when you're in need of more advanced builds, you
    > need to look at incorporating tools that focus on build/deployment
    > needs, I suggest. It looks like you're already meeting this goal in some
    > part.

    This is exactly what I needed: a description of the purpose of wolips.
    I understand now that WOLips is and will be for *development* needs, and
    that I should use ant for build/deployment

    --
    cordialement,
    Jephte.Clai..niv-reunion.fr

    Centre des Resources Informatiques Tél. 0262 93 86 31 Fax. 0262 93 81 06