EOModel derived attributes

From: getsharp (getshar..mail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2009 - 19:59:18 EST

    I only use derived attributes to represent a concatenation of several
    columns as a single attribute, eg fullName = CONCAT(first_name,'
    ',last_name)

    It's helpful for building qualifiers, eg fullName = 'Joe Citizen'

    Two things bug me though:

    * non standards compliant databases leaving me with database specific
    syntax in my model (I'm looking at you MySQL as per my example)
    * displaying derived attributes where an EO is not a result of a
    database fetch, eg newly inserted EOs

    It's probably less pain to just add methods to my Entity classes for
    a) returning concatenated attribute values and b) returning qualifiers
    in cases where I want to keep the clutter of building them out of
    components.

    The small win of having ease of qualification results in 2 things that
    bug me!

    Any thoughts on this?

    Sharpy..