Re: Entity Modeler: Value class NSNumber?

From: Ray Kiddy (ra..anymede.org)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2009 - 17:01:19 EST

    On Feb 20, 2009, at 4:59 AM, Mr. G Brown wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I can't find any documentation for Value Class of NSNumber. This is
    > used in wonder prototypes, with a value type of 'c'. Is this a
    > leftover from when wo was in objective C? or is it still used for
    > something?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

    You might to also look at some of the doc. You can find some of the
    older documentation by searching in Google for some of the terms with
    a "site:apple.com" modifier. This helps me find the places that Apple
    hides the WO documentation. For example:

    http://developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/System/Documentation/Developer/EnterpriseObjects/EOTools/Attributes1.html

    I know there is a doc which lays out which valueClass is which. I know
    the EOF book that Next put out has the list and the list is basically
    the same. Here is the list I have:

    'B' BigDecimal
    'C' Character Stream
    'D' Date
    'E' Encoded Bytes
    'S' String
    'T' Timestamp
    'b' Byte
    'c' Boolean
    'c' Trimmed String
    'd' Double
    'f' Float
    'i' Integer
    'l' Long
    's' Short
    't' Time
    ' ' Unknown

    The fact that 'c' is both Boolean and 'Trimmed String' causes
    occasional hilarity and sometimes pain, but basically, 'c' is used for
    Boolean when something could be a number and 'c' is used for 'Trimmed
    String' when something could be a string. This may seem complicated,
    but we like to keep it interesting.

    And this is all a left-over from the port of WO from ObjC to Java.
    Essentially, Java is much pickier about the fact that you actually
    have to declare the type and stick to it. No fun at all, says I! :-)

    cheers - ray