Re: wocomponent wizard preview

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 02:00:24 EST

    On 23/02/2009, at 1:10 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > So here's a preview of what I'm looking to submit patches of as a
    > 'new and improved' component creation wizard.
    >
    > So, this is a call for feedback (note feedback vs commitment to do :)
    > - first impressions

    First impression, it's too complicated.

    I am a subscriber to the KISS principle, less is more and all that,
    and this kinda goes the other way.
    If someone were to ask me how they can improve the existing component
    creation wizard my answer would probably be to make it smarter, have
    fewer input options but more output possibilities, have better
    defaults but still do what the user expects.

    A few questions come to mind when looking at this UI:
    What do we really need to know to do what the user wants in the vast
    majority of cases?
    Can we make an intelligent decision based on convention or the
    existing project contents without asking the user?
    How much productivity do you gain by having this in the wizard? How
    often are users likely to change the default value?

    The API file for example, the API editor is always accessible through
    the component editor, and will create an API file when needed, so do
    we need to care about it in the component wizard?

    In the "controller" section, how important is it to have all these new
    options at creation time, and how often will users need (or bother) to
    change them from the defaults.
    Why is abstract/private/protected/static even listed? How often do
    users create a WOComponent that isn't public? How inconvenient is it
    to the user if they were always created public?

    I think your suggestion of adding support for custom user templates
    would be of significant value. This might allow a user to simply name
    the component and select a template that corresponds to the type of
    component they wish to create. A variety of custom component types
    (List/Detail/Confirmation/etc), and an extensive amount of
    customisation could be achieved while using the simplest of user
    interfaces.

    As for the java source folder, does this serve any purpose other than
    to solve an issue with maven projects? Is it really necessary or can
    we fix it in the wizard without having to ask the user?

    I like what you have done with the cleaned up visuals and view/
    controller separation

    > - features you think might be useful additions / behaviours

    The encoding type isn't really optional, it needs to be set to
    something, and it should use java encoding type names and drop the old
    Obj-C naming.
    Optional WOO file creation was previously a feature of the wizard, but
    was removed for good reasons (that I don't recall right now).

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806