Re: wocomponent wizard preview

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 06:23:48 EST

    On 23/02/2009, at 5:58 PM, Andrew Lindesay wrote:

    > Hello Lachlan and Quinton;
    >
    >> Optional WOO file creation was previously a feature of the wizard,
    >> but was removed for good reasons (that I don't recall right now).
    >
    > I was quite keen on not having the woo with my components.

    What I do remember of the problem is that this happened at a time when
    quite a number of people were migrating from xcode and having no end
    of character encoding related issues.
    As a result the Apple WO team proposed that character encoding
    validation be added to WOLips to ensure that eclipse's idea of the
    character encoding matched what WO was expecting.

    This was done by me, and it sort of worked, except that WO doesn't
    have a default encoding type, it uses the JDK default which is
    different depending on the platform you use, so it was not possible to
    validate the encoding type when it was unspecified because this could
    change depending on the JDK you used to run the app.

    More recently the move in the wolips & wonder communities has been to
    standardise on using UTF-8 as the default component encoding type,
    which is only possible to do correctly, due to WO's lack of defaulting
    to UTF-8, if your component includes a .woo file stating that you are
    explicitly using UTF-8.

    So it's just better to let eclipse take care of things for you and
    live with the fact that .woo files mean you don't need to worry about
    the character encoding.

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806