Re: wocomponent wizard preview

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 09:57:47 EST

    I think I'm mostly with Q here ... I definitely appreciate what you're
    trying to achieve, but I REALLY want to make WOLips easier, not harder
    for people, and almost everything on that dialog is at a complexity
    level that most WO devs don't want to deal with or think about.

    WOComponentWizard_preview_1-1.jpg

    * I like Q's idea of having a couple templates ... For the most part,
    people are either doing Bundle components or HTML File Components
    (which aren't even really fully supported yet, but it will be). I
    think you can basically remove all those options at the top if you
    have this picker.
    * I'm OK with the Source folder at this point ... It's really a Maven-
    only thing, but it needs to be there as a result, so we have to suck
    that one up, I think (though technically it could only appear if it's
    a Maven project)
    * Modifiers just isn't worth it ... I've never created a non-public
    Component. As far as abstract, if your component is abstract, you
    don't have a component file, so it's just a Java file, so I think you
    would just use the new Java file wizard (and I think you'd know to do
    that because if you're making an abstract component, you're an
    advanced user). Final, i've NEVER done.
    * Interfaces ... I think it's not worth having here ... The number of
    people who put interfaces on components, I suspect, is tiny.
    * For the method stubs, I think remove them and just make them both
    true automatically. I would wager this is nearly always right and
    only a minor annoyance to fix up in the tiny percentage of cases where
    it isn't right.
    * For comments, I'm pretty sure there are global defaults for this --
    I think just use the global defaults and don't bother giving an option
    here.
    * In my opinion, holding up Eclipse's existing wizards as a design
    model is a bad idea. Eclipse is awesome at making terrible, confusing,
    and busy UI's.