Re: [OS-JIRA] Created: (WOL-978) Entity Modeler: editing the entity or column name should only populate the table name if the entity name was blank

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 17:49:29 EDT

    On 12/03/2009, at 3:15 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > what is an example that is causing a problem with this? where would
    > you want a blank table name?

    Prototype entities, horizontal inheritance parent entities. Similarly,
    prototype properties (blank column left as blank).

    I'm talking about the situation where you have an entity already
    (i.e., it's not new) you open it to edit it to simply edit the name.
    The table/column name if it was blank before should remain so.

    > On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Stamenkovic Florijan wrote:
    >
    >> I think this deserves some elaboration...
    >>
    >> We have a similar thing going in our desktop app. Generally our
    >> policy is this: when a change happens in one component (the entity
    >> name in this case), we auto-update the dependent component (the
    >> table name in this case) only if the original value in the first
    >> component was equal (camel case and similar mutations taken into
    >> account) to the value in the dependent component. This policy
    >> handles Lachlan's described situation in the way he wants, but
    >> handles other situations in a more graceful way.

    >> On Mar 10, 2009, at 20:04, Lachlan Deck (JIRA) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Entity Modeler: editing the entity or column name should only
    >>> populate the table name if the entity name was blank
    >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> Key: WOL-978
    >>>

    >>> If editing an entity's name (i.e., where the entity name is not
    >>> blank and the table name is blank) then the table name shouldn't
    >>> auto-update to have the same value.
    >>>
    >>> The same applies for editing entity properties. The corresponding
    >>> column name should remain blank if simply editing the name of the
    >>> property.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck