Re: ERExtension.framework vs ERExtensions-5.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 19:43:16 EDT

    Hi Greg,

    gsbrow..mich.edu wrote:

    >> Where is this ERExtensions.jar from?
    >
    > The jar is built by Maven, installed in .m2

    OK. So it is the same ERExtensions-5.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar you mention in
    other parts. BTW, which command are you using to build Wonder? The
    artifact seems to lack the classifier wo53 or wo54 at the end of the name.

    > I am making frameworks to separate out the eomodels and DB stuff, the
    > frameworks all built by Maven. Just to check and see if the frameworks
    > work, I made a D2W app and referenced the eomodel frameworks.
    >
    > Here there are choices!
    >
    > The eomodel frameworks can be linked to by:
    > source, as a
    > "project framework", as a
    > "local framework" or be
    > installed in the .m2/repository via mvn install.
    >
    > I tried linking to my eomodel frameworks both as a source, and a
    > "project framework".
    >
    > Now the Wonder D2W app needs to link to a bunch of Wonder frameworks, so
    > I here made a "user library" called m2-ERXtensionsCore, and added the
    > jars from .m2/repository for all the erxtensions under core.

    Have you been managing dependencies manually? It seems you are not using
    any plug-in to integrate Maven into Eclipse. You should really try
    m2eclipse [1] or q4e [2]. All dependencies declared in your pom.xml are
    added to your project classpath automatically by those plug-ins. It also
    let you reference dependencies as referenced projects instead of jar
    libraries.

    > I like how
    > Maven keeps track of exactly which version of software is being used,
    > which is why I linked to the jars in .m2. So the ERExtensions-X.jar I
    > tried to use is a jar in a "user library" . I couldn't get that to work,
    > but if I moved the ERExtensions.framework to /Library/Frameworks/ then
    > everything worked.

    When have you generated those jars? Did you use a fresh version of
    Wonder? Did you execute one of the following commands to install the
    jars into your local repository (as described in the README file)?

    mvn clean install -P wo54 (for WebObjects 5.4)

    or

    mvn clean install -P wo53 (for WebObjects 5.3)

    > That is why I wondered what the difference was between a jar framework
    > and a regular framework, and how these tools treat them.

    It should work in the same way for both. WebObjects was made to handle
    both. If you find any problem on WebObjects, WOLips or Wonder just
    because you are using a jar framework, it is certainly a bug. But I have
    to say I use jar frameworks for all my projects and I have no blocker
    problems.

    Sorry for the number of questions, but I need to understand how your
    environment is configured to help more.

    [1]http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/
    [2]http://code.google.com/p/q4e/

    Cheers,