Re: ERExtension.framework vs ERExtensions-5.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

From: Mr. G Brown (gsbrow..mich.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 21:16:12 EDT

    On Mar 11, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Henrique Prange wrote:

    > Hi Greg,
    >
    > gsbrow..mich.edu wrote:
    >>> Where is this ERExtensions.jar from?
    >> The jar is built by Maven, installed in .m2
    >
    > OK. So it is the same ERExtensions-5.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar you mention
    > in other parts. BTW, which command are you using to build Wonder?
    > The artifact seems to lack the classifier wo53 or wo54 at the end
    > of the name.

    yes I should have typed out the full name....

    >> I am making frameworks to separate out the eomodels and DB stuff,
    >> the frameworks all built by Maven. Just to check and see if the
    >> frameworks work, I made a D2W app and referenced the eomodel
    >> frameworks.
    >> Here there are choices!
    >> The eomodel frameworks can be linked to by:
    >> source, as a "project framework", as a
    >> "local framework" or be
    >> installed in the .m2/repository via mvn install.
    >> I tried linking to my eomodel frameworks both as a source, and a
    >> "project framework".
    >> Now the Wonder D2W app needs to link to a bunch of Wonder
    >> frameworks, so I here made a "user library" called m2-
    >> ERXtensionsCore, and added the jars from .m2/repository for all
    >> the erxtensions under core.
    >
    > Have you been managing dependencies manually? It seems you are not
    > using any plug-in to integrate Maven into Eclipse. You should
    > really try m2eclipse [1] or q4e [2]. All dependencies declared in
    > your pom.xml are added to your project classpath automatically by
    > those plug-ins. It also let you reference dependencies as
    > referenced projects instead of jar libraries.

    It was a quick check ( a 10 minute check, I thought), and
    unfortunately there is no quick way to make a D2W Maven app : <
    ( , so I made a D2w FBL app and I found out that the eomodel
    frameworks actually work! (after the work around for this jar/
    framework problem.) I used m2eclipse for the frameworks.

    >> I like how Maven keeps track of exactly which version of software
    >> is being used, which is why I linked to the jars in .m2. So the
    >> ERExtensions-X.jar I tried to use is a jar in a "user library" . I
    >> couldn't get that to work, but if I moved the
    >> ERExtensions.framework to /Library/Frameworks/ then everything
    >> worked.
    >
    > When have you generated those jars? Did you use a fresh version of
    > Wonder? Did you execute one of the following commands to install
    > the jars into your local repository (as described in the README file)?

    Yes, svn update (a few days ago) and then mvn clean install -Pwo53

    > mvn clean install -P wo54 (for WebObjects 5.4)
    >
    > or
    >
    > mvn clean install -P wo53 (for WebObjects 5.3)
    >
    >> That is why I wondered what the difference was between a jar
    >> framework and a regular framework, and how these tools treat them.
    >>

    > It should work in the same way for both. WebObjects was made to
    > handle both. If you find any problem on WebObjects, WOLips or
    > Wonder just because you are using a jar framework, it is certainly
    > a bug. But I have to say I use jar frameworks for all my projects
    > and I have no blocker problems.

    Well it is good to know both should work.

    With eclipse there are many ways to put ERExtensions into a project.
    Is there a way to see what is all on the classpath at runtime? I
    guess that would tell what is being seen.

    > Sorry for the number of questions, but I need to understand how
    > your environment is configured to help more.

    Thanks for you time and help!

    > [1]http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/
    > [2]http://code.google.com/p/q4e/
    >
    > Cheers,