Re: Frameworkjars: A wonder issue?

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 14:37:33 EDT

    Hi Greg,

    On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Greg Brown <gsbrow..mich.edu> wrote:

    > So the WO code should support frameworkjars if they are in the NSJarBundle
    > format; but what about Wonder?

    Wonder also supports frameworks bundled as JAR. Believe me, I use Jar
    frameworks for all my projects. I have some problems loading webserver
    resources during development. But that is not your problem yet. :)

    > If I use the latest Eclipse + WOlips + download the frameworkjars
    > from http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wonder/ I run into problems.

    If you are downloading Wonder from that URL, it probably means you are
    using Ant to build your projects. So, the question is: why do you want
    to use frameworks packaged as JARs instead of standard framework
    bundles?

    If you want to use Maven to build your projects you should not
    download Wonder libraries this way. You must add the libraries to your
    Maven local repository. The best way to accomplish this task is
    downloading the Wonder source code and building with Maven in your
    local machine.

    > 1. First, make a Wonder application with "directory frameworks". Success, it
    > says "Hello World".
    > 2. Now, configure the build path, remove the ERExtensions "directory
    > framework", and add the frameworkjar downloaded
    > from http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wonder/, and change the order so its
    > toward the top. Failure, it quits and says:
    >
    > No ERX_MARKER field in NSMutableArray found.
    > This means your class path is incorrect. Adjust it so that ERExtensions come
    > before JavaFoundation.

    OK. So, why change to Jar if it does work as standard framework?

    > Q1. Is this something from the WOlips tools + eclipse environment? or is it
    > from the Wonder initialization code?

    Probably something wrong in your classpath or something wrong with the
    Jar you have added.

    > The "directory frameworks" have a "con" type classpath entry, and the
    > frameworkjars have a "lib" type.

    This is fine. "con" means container and can have zero to n Jars
    inside. "lib" is a solo Jar reference.

    > I hear people do use the wonder frameworkjars, I don't understand when they
    > work and when they don't work. It appears they only work under certain
    > conditions.

    In short, use standard framework bundles if you plan to build your
    projects with Ant. Use Jar frameworks if you want to manage your
    projects with Maven.

    Cheers,

    Henrique