Re: Help migrating project layouts - FB?

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 13:09:31 EDT

    HI Ken,

    On Apr 8, 2009, at 6:54 AM, Ken Anderson wrote:
    > We're going to be moving to a new subversion repository, and for a
    > number of reasons, we've decided to keep the history in the old one
    > and start fresh. This gives me a wonderful opportunity to unify the
    > project structures across all the frameworks and apps.

    When I did that, I was also able to move to a shared Ant build system
    (three xml files for organization). That might also be something to
    consider so that changes going forward don't require modifying X
    build.xml files.

    > The big question is, where can I find more info on all the different
    > layouts? I hear a lot about fluffy bunnies, but I can't find any
    > doc explaining the pros/cons of different structures, or even what's
    > available. Any help?

    I think the choice is between FBL, Maven, and IF**KEDMyselfLayout.
    The last two may be the same... (just kidding Lachlan). I used to
    use my own layout (IFML) and switched to the FBL as WOLips supports it
    better. I like easier and FBL made my life easier. If you don't use
    FBL, I think that everything else is equivalent: you are on your own.

    > We have a number of frameworks and apps, very EOF intensive, not
    > using Wonder yet, but would like to. We deploy as wars. Still WO
    > 5.3 and Eclipse 3.3, but would also use this as an opportunity to
    > move to Eclipse 3.4. Any thoughts are appreciated.

    That means you are not on WOLips New Hotness then (I am pretty sure
    this is only for Eclipse 3.4). You REALLY REALLY want to be using New
    Hotness. The classpath handling is worlds better. If I had a choice
    between FBL and New Hotness, I'd take New Hotness in a heartbeat. But
    I'd really rather have both. So would you.

    Chuck

    --
    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development