Re: Project Template Questions

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 07:24:19 EDT

    On Apr 10, 2009, at 1:21 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > Yeah -- it's at the very bottom of the custom template wiki page:

    Yeah, I should have said that I have read that and found it less-than-
    clear. The example given in the text doesn't work and doesn't even
    match the example project linked to on the page.

    I had done some updates to parts of the page that I thought weren't
    entirely clear, but when I got to this section I stopped because I was
    hoping to figure this out before updating it. I didn't want to make
    matters worse.

    > In addition to variables inside of Velocity templates, you can also
    > use template inputs in folder names. However, because $ is not
    > allowed on some filesystems, we instead surround the variable names
    > with "_" (for instance $someVariable would be __someVariable_ in the
    > filename or path).

    Wait. Two "_" in front, and one after? Does that mean that it is using
    one "_" for the $, and one each for the "{" and "}" ?

    > As an example, the Wonder Application template has an input named
    > "basePackage" (of type Package), which creates a magic variable

    What is a magic variable as opposed to a normal variable? I'm guessing
    that's just literary license because the whole thing is almost
    magical, but it leaves doubt in my mind that I've missed something. Am
    I just nit-picking? I think so, but I'm just not entirely sure.

    > named "basePackage_folder"

    What was the non-file/folder variable? was it ${basePackage.folder}?
    $basePackage.folder? $basePackage_folder? I don't know because in the
    example up to now, it's always referred to as basePackage. Where did
    the "folder" come from?

    > (where the dots are turned into slashes)

    Slashes? Is that supposed to be "underlines"? Or does it mean that the
    dots in the package variable are turned into back-slashes as file
    delimiters? Being uncertain about this makes the following line even
    less clear.

    > , and the Source folder on the filesystem is named "Wonder
    > Application/Sources/_basePackage_folder_".

    What? No it isn't. In the template project that works, it is just
    called "__basePackage_folder__" (note two "_" before and after) and is
    located in the template "Sources" directory.

    So in the end due to what I'm thinking is just a confluence of typos,
    lack of precise examples and misstatements, I really don't know what
    the correct way is and I can't really intuit it either. When I try to
    follow what I _think_ is the right way, it doesn't work.

    I want to use the Project Name entered in the new project wizard to
    name a file in my project. Such as:

    MyProjectJCBuilder.launch

    I've tried:

    _WOLipsContext_getProjectName_JCBuilder.launch
    __WOLipsContext_getProjectName_JCBuilder.launch
    __WOLipsContext_getProjectName__JCBuilder.launch

    None of which get parsed. To reduce the number of possible variables,
    I removed the rest of the file name and just am trying to get:

    MyProject

    I've tried

    _WOLipsContext_getProjectName_
    __WOLipsContext_getProjectName_