Re: Project Template Questions

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 10:57:08 EDT

    >> In addition to variables inside of Velocity templates, you can also
    >> use template inputs in folder names. However, because $ is not
    >> allowed on some filesystems, we instead surround the variable names
    >> with "_" (for instance $someVariable would be __someVariable_ in
    >> the filename or path).
    >
    > Wait. Two "_" in front, and one after? Does that mean that it is
    > using one "_" for the $, and one each for the "{" and "}" ?
    Oh, weird -- yeah well, this is what you get when I write something
    fast :)

    I think it's two __ in front and back -- you replace ${ with __ and }
    with __, so ${something} becomes __something__. I don't think I ever
    tried one with dots, but I would expect it to become
    __something.with.dots__

    >> As an example, the Wonder Application template has an input named
    >> "basePackage" (of type Package), which creates a magic variable
    > What is a magic variable as opposed to a normal variable? I'm
    > guessing that's just literary license because the whole thing is
    > almost magical, but it leaves doubt in my mind that I've missed
    > something. Am I just nit-picking? I think so, but I'm just not
    > entirely sure.
    A magic variable is one that gets generated for you ... If you declare
    a type "package" there is automagically a dependent variable that
    generates a variant where that package's dots are replaced by slashes,
    which will expand to folders when you use that variable in the
    filesystem.

    >> named "basePackage_folder"
    > What was the non-file/folder variable? was it $
    > {basePackage.folder}? $basePackage.folder? $basePackage_folder? I
    > don't know because in the example up to now, it's always referred to
    > as basePackage.
    there is ${basePackage} and a generated ${basePackage_folder}

    > Where did the "folder" come from?
    That's what it was trying to say ... If your variable type is package,
    you get an automatic _folder variant that has slashes in it.

    >> (where the dots are turned into slashes)
    >
    > Slashes? Is that supposed to be "underlines"? Or does it mean that
    > the dots in the package variable are turned into back-slashes as
    > file delimiters? Being uncertain about this makes the following line
    > even less clear.

    >> , and the Source folder on the filesystem is named "Wonder
    >> Application/Sources/_basePackage_folder_".
    > What? No it isn't. In the template project that works, it is just
    > called "__basePackage_folder__" (note two "_" before and after) and
    > is located in the template "Sources" directory.
    I'm not sure why these are missing the __'s ... typo.

    > I want to use the Project Name entered in the new project wizard to
    > name a file in my project. Such as:
    >
    > MyProjectJCBuilder.launch
    >
    > I've tried:
    >
    > _WOLipsContext_getProjectName_JCBuilder.launch
    > __WOLipsContext_getProjectName_JCBuilder.launch
    > __WOLipsContext_getProjectName__JCBuilder.launch
    can you use getProjectName without the (), I don't recall what the
    restrictions are, but whatever you put in a regular template, replace $
    { with __ (two underscores) and } with __ (two underscores).

    > _WOLipsContext_getProjectName_
    > __WOLipsContext_getProjectName_
    > __WOLipsContext_getProjectName__
    that middle underscore is wrong (should be a dot), at the very least,
    and maybe you need getProjectName() -- I remember there's somewhere
    where that is enforced in a weird way in velocity. But like I said, I
    don't think I've ever used a . notation in this syntax before -- only
    the single variable name ones.

    ms