wod editing oddness...

From: Ray Kiddy (ra..anymede.org)
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 15:49:50 EDT

    It seems odd to me how often this type of error occurs. Once I figured
    out what was happening, it is easy to correct but the symptoms are
    unclear and this probably confuses the heck out of newbies..

    I use modern-style WOComponents only. In other words, I edit the html
    file in the wo and use OGNL tags. I never edit anything in the wod
    file. Yet when I do certain things to the html file of the wo, some of
    which are obvious and some of which are not, things get put into the
    wod file and I then see errors being reported from eclipse. The errors
    usually appear to be nonsense.

    For example, I was editing the TimeDisplayNow component in
    TickTockMan. I edit this by double-clicking on the Component icon in
    the open project in the WO Explorer pane. Then I started to see:

    "09" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 0
    "09" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 1
    "09" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 2
    "09" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 3
    "15" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 0
    "15" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 1
    "15" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 2
    "15" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 3
    "2009" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 0
    "2009" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 1
    "2009" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 2
    "2009" is an unknown keyword - TimeDisplayNow.wod - TickTockMan/
    Components/TimeDisplayNow.wo - line 3
    ... and so on.

    And sure enough...

    % cat TickTockMan/Contents/Resources/TimeDisplayNow.wo/
    TimeDisplayNow.wod
    Wed Apr 15 11:46:09 PDT 2009
    Wed Apr 15 11:46:09 PDT 2009
    Wed Apr 15 11:46:09 PDT 2009
    Wed Apr 15 11:46:09 PDT 2009
    %

    This appears both in the build directory and in the "editable" copy of
    the wed file.

    So, I did not consciously do anything to put anything into the wod
    file. So why is this garbage there?

    I am not sure how this stuff got there. One use case that is a bit
    more clear occurs when I copy-and-paste something into the html file.
    Eclipse seems to put the thing I pasted into the wod and not the html
    file in the wo. This then causes strange error messages.

    Does anyone know what is up with this?

    cheers - ray