Re: Recommendations for Ajax ID's

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 14:14:40 EDT

    >> The 3 pop-ups I tied together with Ajax are in a single component
    >> that can be on a page multiple times, so I need to come up with
    >> unique ID's for the pop-ups and update containers. What do people
    >> use? I was thinking about using the element ID, but can't seem to
    >> find out how to get it...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ken
    > For the pop-ups I wrap them in AjaxObserveField. No need to give
    > your pop-ups unique IDs. But you'll need unique IDs for the update
    > containers. :-)
    In many cases you don't anymore -- if you're updating the container
    above you you can just use updateContainerID= "_parent" on the
    links ... Most cases have obvious id's, but if you need per-EO id's, i
    use wonder helper functions (id="$person|id") and we have an
    ERXGenericRecordHelper that spits them out (this is the usual case for
    the multiple-on-a-page). You probably don't want to use element ID,
    though, as this can change across requests and you probably want to be
    able to trigger the update from other parts of the page.

    ms