Re: Recommendations for Ajax ID's

From: Ken Anderson (kenlist..nderhome.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 15:35:12 EDT

    Thanks for the responses everyone, but I'm still not completely clear.

    I can't use repetition index because the component is embedded many
    levels deep below the rep (not to mention there's more than 1
    repetition).

    There are 2 different types of hard coded strings in the Dependent
    Lists example... the IDs of the pop-ups, and the IDs of the update
    containers that wraps the sections to be updated.

    We have 3 pop ups, same as the dependent list example, so I'm creating
    2 AjaxObserveFields - one to encapsulate the 2nd & 3rd, and another to
    encapsulate the 3rd.

    So, I was trying to create 5 unique strings - 1 for each pop-up, and 2
    for the update containers.

    One way I can do this is call context().elementID(), which will
    create a new unique element ID, and then store it in my component.
    Then, all the unique strings use it:

            private String myID;
             myID = context().elementID();

         public String marketField() {
                 return myID+"-Market";
         }

    Not nearly as cool as what some of the other ideas suggest, but at
    least I could make this one work :)

    Ken