Re: All my maven projects are broken...

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 22:20:13 EDT

    On 25/04/2009, at 10:02 AM, Mr. G Brown wrote:

    > All my maven projects are broken...
    >
    > I think it is the well known maven-update-plugin-snapshot-and-shoot-
    > all-your-projects bug.

    well known?

    > The settings from the wocommunity repository caused a new:
    > <groupId>org.objectstyle.woproject.maven2</groupId>
    > <artifactId>maven-wolifecycle-plugin</artifactId>
    > <version>2.0.17-SNAPSHOT</version>

    Which is what you've asked it to do :-)
    You're always better off using a released version for production. Use
    2.0.16 or 2.0.17.

    > <extensions>true</extensions>

    Are you using the settings file from the Quick Start guide?
    http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Quick+Start

    Please check you have the latest.

    > Snapshot to download and then the fun began with some eclipse
    > problems:
    > 4/22/09 11:55:57 AM EDT: Failed to read Maven project
    > 4/22/09 11:55:57 AM EDT:
    > org.apache.maven.extension.ExtensionScanningException: Cannot
    > resolve pre-scanned plugin artifact (for use as an extension):
    > org.objectstyle.woproject.maven2:maven-wolifecycle-plugin: Failed to
    > resolve extension plugin: org.objectstyle.woproject.maven2:maven-
    > wolifecycle-plugin:maven-plugin:2.0.17-SNAPSHOT
    > 4/22/09 11:55:58 AM EDT: Failed to read Maven project

    Please try from the command line to eliminate eclipse oddities. Double
    check you haven't set eclipse > preferences > maven > offline == true.

    > Plus, I can't create new projects. The below project seems like it
    > might work, but the
    > .project is lacking the maven nature etc.
    > <natures>
    > <nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
    > <nature>
    > org.objectstyle.wolips.incrementalapplicationnature
    > </nature>
    > </natures>

    You didn't create this project using the guide[1] but via the command
    line. So this is very normal - Right click on the project in eclipse
    after import and (depending on which maven plugin you're using:
    m2eclipse, q4e) add maven dependency management from the maven submenu.

    > As WOWODC approaches, stuff seems to change faster, which has good
    > aspects and some bad : <(

    Well - this is good :-) But as said above you always run a risk using
    a nightly build. Stick with releases if you want to be shielded from
    updates that may/may not break.

    > Questions:
    >
    > 1.) Should we use the non snapshot version of the plugins?

    Yes.

    > Is maven-wolifecycle-plugin version 2.0.16 viable?

    Yes. 2.0.16 is fine to use. 2.0.17 is more recent and preferred. I'm
    using 2.0.17 for my production projects.

    > (Just tried it and:
    > org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Internal
    > error in the plugin manager executing goal
    > 'org.objectstyle.woproject.maven2:maven-wolifecycle-plugin:
    > 2.0.16:woframework': Mojo execution failed.
    > DARN MOJO!

    You can ignore that. Always ask yourself - did it build? If it did
    then it's just noise on the console.

    > 2.) maybe use the old ~/.M2/settings file (no plugin repository) so
    > we can control when important plugins get updated?

    ?? What old file? Download and use the Quick Start guide's
    settings.xml file + use released versions.

    > project creation test:
    >
    > Define value for WebObjectsVersion: 5.4.2: : 5.3.3

    2.0.17 defaults to 5.4.3 for this.

    > Define value for WonderSupport: no: : yes
    > Define value for WonderVersion: 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT: :
    > Define value for TrueWarSupport: no: :
    > Define value for groupId: : mygroup
    > Define value for artifactId: : foo
    > Define value for version: 1.0-SNAPSHOT: :
    > Define value for package: mygroup: :
    > Confirm properties configuration:
    > WebObjectsVersion: 5.3.3
    > WonderSupport: yes
    > WonderVersion: 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT
    > TrueWarSupport: no
    > groupId: mygroup
    > artifactId: foo
    > version: 1.0-SNAPSHOT
    > package: mygroup
    > Y: : y
    > [WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
    > reference : template = archetype-resources/pom.xml [line 40,column
    > 34] : ${woversion} is not a valid reference.
    > [WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
    > reference : template = archetype-resources/pom.xml [line 45,column
    > 34] : ${woversion} is not a valid reference.
    > [WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException:
    > reference : template = archetype-resources/pom.xml [line 50,column
    > 34] : ${woversion} is not a valid reference.

    These have been fixed in 2.0.17 but are otherwise safe to ignore (as I
    mentioned replying to your last email).

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck