Re: Ajax fails on deployment machine

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 13:35:28 EDT

    Hi Ken,

    On May 13, 2009, at 7:43 AM, kenlist..nderhome.com wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I have some new cool Ajax stuff in my WO app (3.4.2, WOLips from
    > maybe 2 weeks ago) that works great inside Eclipse and in the WAR
    > deployment, but does not work in the .woa deployment. I'm guessing
    > that it has something to do with servicing the updateUrl, but this
    > is certainly not my area of expertise. What should I look for?
    >
    > Also, is there an easy way to debug these requests? My action
    > method never gets called.

    The first thing to do is to go to the site using FireFox with FireBug
    installed and active. Check the console for JavaScript errors.
    Perhaps something did not get updated in the doc root for that
    deployment?

    FireBug will also show you the network traffic between the browser and
    the app. If you are not getting JS errors, is an Ajax request getting
    sent to the app? FireBug will show this. If it is not sending a
    request, is JS disable or the files not getting loaded at all? If is
    sending a request, then printlns in the app are probably your best best.

    Also log out all received requests and session creation in your app
    (see AjaxExample for demo code). It could be that bad HTML is causing
    the browser to send a "request" to the app and creating a new session
    (are you using cookies?). This would result in the next Ajax action
    going to a new session and being handled as a page restoration error.

    Chuck

    --
    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

    Come to WOWODC'09 in San Fran this June! http://www.wocommunity.org/wowodc09/