[OT] VNC tunnels

From: Kieran Kelleher (kieran_list..ac.com)
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 09:19:26 EDT

    Sorry for Off Topic, but this is the smartest bunch of people I know ;-)

    I am creating a few scripts for easy VNC admin of remote servers

    For any remote server, I create an ssh tunnel by doing sth like this:
    ssh -2 use..emotehost -p ${SSH_PORT} -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes -o
    HostKeyAlias=${HOST_KEY_ALIAS} -o ServerAliveInterval=0 -o
    CheckHostIP=no -L ${LOCAL_PORT}:127.0.0.1:5900 -f -N

    Then I open the VNC screen in the built-in Screen Sharing by doing this:
    open vnc://127.0.0.1:${LOCAL_PORT}

    My problem is as follows:

    - If I create SSH tunnels to multiple remote hosts, only the first one
    is opened by Screen Sharing. any subsequent calls to "open vnc://127.0.0.1:other_port
    " result in Screen Sharing just showing the first VNC window. I am
    thinking that Screen Sharing just will not make multiple VNC
    connections to the same host (127.0.0.1) even though the ports for
    each separate tunnel are different.

    - I want to open multiple VNC windows at the same time all connected
    to local forwarded ports.

    What I have tried:
    - putting multiple entries in /etc/hosts pointing to 127.0.0.1, but
    that does not "fool" Screen Sharing into opening more than one VNC
    screen to 127.0.0.1