Re: application not starting on Windows

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 16:46:32 EDT

    On Aug 4, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Susanne Schneider wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > sorry for bothering you again. I still have some problems getting my
    > applications to work. It seems to be related to the new wolips
    > version (3.4.5872), not to the WO version (migrating from WO 5.2 to
    > 5.4).
    >
    > Symptoms: after building my application with ant the application
    > folder does not include the WOBootstrap.jar. Starting the *.cmd
    > script of the application results in incredible helpful message
    > (sorry for the sarcasm but I am struggling for two days now to get
    > things back to work again):
    >
    > "The command line is still too long for Windows command scripting to
    > process. Please use the SUBPATHS.TXT file to specify a more
    > appropriate set of paths to substitute. Use the longest paths,
    > particularly if they are common, and eliminate any paths in
    > SUBPATHS.TXT that you aren't actually using in your classpath file.
    > Further, eliminate any paths from the classpath file that that you
    > don't really need, e.g. "WOROOT/Library/Java". If that doesn't
    > suffice, pare down command-line arguments as much as you can.
    > Terminating!"

    My guess is that message IS helpful. If you have changed paths to
    where the project is running from, or are embedding frameworks, your
    classpath could now be too long for Windows to handle. Long ago, when
    I used windows, I ended up having to define drive letters mapped to
    paths get the command line small enough. But then I got better and
    started to use a real operating system.

    > I may have to mention that we are using 7 custom frameworks with
    > included multiple library jars in a subfolder of the local framework
    > folder. This has been no problem with the prior version of wolips
    > (3.3.4558).

    Were you embedding frameworks? Are you now? Have any related paths
    gotten longer?

    Chuck

    > In my wolips.properties file I have an entry "wo.bootstrap.jar" as
    > suggested by Amiel. Is this needed/used or what is necessary to get
    > this function back to work?
    >
    > The complete wolips.properties file:
    > wo.system.root=C:/Apple
    > wo.system.frameworks=C:/Apple/Library/Frameworks
    > wo.system.frameworks.root=C:/Apple/Library/Frameworks
    > wo.bootstrap.jar=C:/Apple/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/
    > wotaskd.woa/WOBootstrap.jar
    > wo.extensions=C:/Apple/Local/Library/WebObjects/Extensions
    > wo.user.root=C:/Users/Susanne
    > wo.apps.root=C:/Apple/Local
    > wo.local.root=C:/Apple/Local
    > wo.local.frameworks.root=C:/Apple/Local/Library/Frameworks
    > wo.local.frameworks=C:/Apple/Local/Library/Frameworks
    > wo.wosystemroot=C:/Apple
    > wo.wolocalroot=C:/Apple/Local
    >
    > Any help would very much appreciated. And don't get me wrong: I
    > really worship the work the woproject and wolips developers are doing!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Susanne
    > --
    > Susanne Schneider
    > Coordinator secuTrial Development
    >
    > iAS interActive Systems GmbH
    > Dieffenbachstraße 33 c, D-10967 Berlin
    >
    > fon +49(0)30 22 50 50 - 498
    > fax +49(0)30 22 50 50 - 451
    > mail susanne.schneide..nterActive-Systems.de
    > web http://www.interActive-Systems.de

    > Geschäftsführer: Dr. Marko Reschke, Thomas Fritzsche
    > Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
    > Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 106103B

    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development