Re: application not starting on Windows

From: Susanne Schneider (susanne.schneide..nteractive-systems.de)
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 04:48:55 EDT

    Hi Clark, Chuck,

    Clark Mueller schrieb:
    > Don't you want wo.bootstrapjar as opposed to wo.bootstrap.jar?

    Of course! :-)
    I hoped it was something stupid of me.

    > Clark
    >
    > On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:
    >

    >> On Aug 4, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Susanne Schneider wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> sorry for bothering you again. I still have some problems getting my
    >>> applications to work. It seems to be related to the new wolips
    >>> version (3.4.5872), not to the WO version (migrating from WO 5.2 to
    >>> 5.4).
    >>>
    >>> Symptoms: after building my application with ant the application
    >>> folder does not include the WOBootstrap.jar. Starting the *.cmd
    >>> script of the application results in incredible helpful message
    >>> (sorry for the sarcasm but I am struggling for two days now to get
    >>> things back to work again):
    >>>
    >>> "The command line is still too long for Windows command scripting to
    >>> process. Please use the SUBPATHS.TXT file to specify a more
    >>> appropriate set of paths to substitute. Use the longest paths,
    >>> particularly if they are common, and eliminate any paths in
    >>> SUBPATHS.TXT that you aren't actually using in your classpath file.
    >>> Further, eliminate any paths from the classpath file that that you
    >>> don't really need, e.g. "WOROOT/Library/Java". If that doesn't
    >>> suffice, pare down command-line arguments as much as you can.
    >>> Terminating!"
    >>
    >> My guess is that message IS helpful. If you have changed paths to
    >> where the project is running from, or are embedding frameworks, your
    >> classpath could now be too long for Windows to handle. Long ago, when
    >> I used windows, I ended up having to define drive letters mapped to
    >> paths get the command line small enough. But then I got better and
    >> started to use a real operating system.

    I admit the message is very descriptive and even suggest a workaround.
    But that would have included a lot of ant fiddling I'd rather like to
    avoid. Especially as the problem has a standard solution by the wobootstrap.

    >>> I may have to mention that we are using 7 custom frameworks with
    >>> included multiple library jars in a subfolder of the local framework
    >>> folder. This has been no problem with the prior version of wolips
    >>> (3.3.4558).
    >>
    >> Were you embedding frameworks? Are you now? Have any related paths
    >> gotten longer?

    It didn't really matter if the frameworks were embedded or not, I tried
    all combinations.

    Anyway, with the corrected property now everything works fine again.
    Thank you both very much!

    Regards,
    Susanne

    --
    Susanne Schneider
    Coordinator secuTrial Development

    iAS interActive Systems GmbH Dieffenbachstraße 33 c, D-10967 Berlin

    fon +49(0)30 22 50 50 - 498 fax +49(0)30 22 50 50 - 451 mail susanne.schneide..nterActive-Systems.de web http://www.interActive-Systems.de

    ---------------------------------------------------- Geschäftsführer: Dr. Marko Reschke, Thomas Fritzsche Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 106103B ----------------------------------------------------