weird Eclipse/WOLips behavior working offline

From: Tim Worman (list..hetimmy.com)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 13:56:42 EDT

    All:

    This past weekend I was traveling and looking to do some work while I
    at 30,000 feet. On these flights I did not have a network connection
    and it caused me a lot of trouble with Eclipse/WOLips. I guess I have
    to ask the question - does WO development require a network connection
    to function properly? Here's some symptoms I saw:

    1. Eclipse could not resolve any dependencies to the core WebObjects
    frameworks - eocontrol, foundation, etc. As a result no projects would
    build. This wasn't happening when there was a network connection. If I
    added the jar versions of these to the build path it would fix
    everything.

    2. Every time I launched Eclipse I would get an error that an
    info.plist inside a framework file could not be read/parsed. I think
    it gave this error on two different frameworks. I remember at one
    point seeing something in the console that made it seem there was an
    attempt to reach apple.com somewhere.

    3. Sometimes while I was experiencing these problems I would go Build
    Path >> Configure Build Path and the resulting window would be blank
    and there was an error about incorrect values (or something :-)).

    4. other windowing and widget strangeness, failures, errors, etc.

    Admittedly I'm using Eclipse 3.5 Cocoa and WOLips for 3.5 (on Mac OS
    X). All these problems go away as soon as I have an active network
    connection. It seems crazy that this would be normal but, then again,
    maybe I'm not normal. :-)

    Tim
    UCLA GSE&IS