Re: weird Eclipse/WOLips behavior working offline

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 14:09:15 EDT

    On Aug 18, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Tim Worman wrote:

    > All:
    >
    > This past weekend I was traveling and looking to do some work while
    > I at 30,000 feet. On these flights I did not have a network
    > connection and it caused me a lot of trouble with Eclipse/WOLips. I
    > guess I have to ask the question - does WO development require a
    > network connection to function properly? Here's some symptoms I saw:
    >
    > 1. Eclipse could not resolve any dependencies to the core WebObjects
    > frameworks - eocontrol, foundation, etc. As a result no projects
    > would build. This wasn't happening when there was a network
    > connection. If I added the jar versions of these to the build path
    > it would fix everything.

    The problem is that _some_ of the frameworks have this in their
    info.plist:

    xx208110100003:~/Cadre/Code/WebObjects chuck$ cat /System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaEOControl.framework/Resources/Info.plist
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd
    ">

    If the XML parser wants the DTD, it needs a network connection. As a
    short term solution, just delete the DOCTYPE line from the affected /
    used frameworks.

    > 2. Every time I launched Eclipse I would get an error that an
    > info.plist inside a framework file could not be read/parsed. I think
    > it gave this error on two different frameworks. I remember at one
    > point seeing something in the console that made it seem there was an
    > attempt to reach apple.com somewhere.

    See above. :-)

    > 3. Sometimes while I was experiencing these problems I would go
    > Build Path >> Configure Build Path and the resulting window would be
    > blank and there was an error about incorrect values (or
    > something :-)).
    >
    > 4. other windowing and widget strangeness, failures, errors, etc.

    Probably the result of an unexpected exception.

    > Admittedly I'm using Eclipse 3.5 Cocoa and WOLips for 3.5 (on Mac OS
    > X). All these problems go away as soon as I have an active network
    > connection. It seems crazy that this would be normal but, then
    > again, maybe I'm not normal. :-)

    :-P

    Chuck

    --
    Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development