Re: Anyone playing with Scala?

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 17 2009 - 01:01:14 EDT

    (moving to woproject-dev)

    On 17/09/2009, at 2:43 PM, Ravi Mendis wrote:

    > Playtime is over for Scala...
    > ...my intention is to do my next production app in Scala.
    >
    > The primary motivation for using Scala is that it is inherently
    > thread-safe.
    > Web 2.0 apps (like a ERDivaLook app for example) really need
    > concurrent request handling.
    >
    > With Java, one can be careful, but unless you code-review regularly
    > you can never be sure you have thread-safe code.
    > In Scala you are automatically writing thread-safe code (more or
    > less).
    >
    > So you don't have to have sleepless nights over deadlocks when using
    > concurrent request handling :)

    unless, I imagine, the libraries you primarily depend on are
    themselves not written in scala(?)

    > Now, developing and deploying more ambitious Web 2.0 UI is a
    > possibility...

    I am interested in Groovy in particular, Quinton, as it does have
    reasonably decent tool support nowadays. (It appears that Scala does
    too: http://www.scala-lang.org/node/94)

    So... I'm happy to look into updating the new Component/View wizard
    for wolips to creating the component class in alternate languages (if
    desired) as that seems to me to be the primary obstacle to utilising
    these two languages with WOLips (is that what you meant Quinton?).

    (Let me know Ravi/Quinton what you think, how you'd like it to work etc)

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck