Re: maclike vs eclipselike

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 19:56:58 EDT

    On 03/10/2009, at 6:09 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > It would work like inspectors on normal Mac apps -- it would just be
    > "Inspector Window" ... you wouldn't close and reopen for each one,
    > it would change with selection (like old EOModeler).
    >
    > Technically you can tear off the current view, but the layout is
    > undesirable for an inspector panel. This kind of goes back to the
    > main question of whether we're an Eclipse app or a Mac app. If
    > we're a Mac app, I think there's no question that this should be a
    > separator inspector window -- You really don't see embedded
    > inspector views very often on the Mac.
    >
    > I'm undecided on it at the moment. Just something I'm tossing around.

    Can you talk a little more about what advantages you see with the
    approach? i.e., why bother--when it currently works--unless there's
    some new feature that you've got awaiting screen space?

    The problem with the inspector (as in the screen shot) is that it has
    to float somewhere on the screen, it has to remain on top of things as
    otherwise you keep having to bring it to the fore to use it etc

    The eclipse window is typically full-screen also .. so where would it
    float without being in the way?

    I think I'd have to use it to make a call. But like David I wonder how
    this would work (focus-wise) with stepping through and adjusting
    multiple attributes/relations.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck