Re: maclike vs eclipselike

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Sat Oct 03 2009 - 15:46:20 EDT

    On Oct 2, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

    > It would work like inspectors on normal Mac apps -- it would just be
    > "Inspector Window" ... you wouldn't close and reopen for each one,
    > it would change with selection (like old EOModeler).

    So it would continue to float over the other Eclipse windows?

    > Technically you can tear off the current view, but the layout is
    > undesirable for an inspector panel.

    A major problem of using tear-off windows is that the menu bar
    disappears when the tear-off has focus. All you have is the Eclipse
    menu and everything else goes away. Would this new inspector exhibit
    the same behavior? Also, can you switch focus easily with an inspector
    using cmd-`? If you can, will the focus default to the same field that
    was previously selected or would it default to the first one?

    > This kind of goes back to the main question of whether we're an
    > Eclipse app or a Mac app. If we're a Mac app, I think there's no
    > question that this should be a separator inspector window -- You
    > really don't see embedded inspector views very often on the Mac.

    I think it is really an eclipse app. As much as I'd love a Mac UI WO
    IDE, we have eclipse, and having some components behave mac-like and
    others not, is just confusing over-all.

    What about making more of the columns in the list view editable, and
    make the tab/enter order more logical? For example, I like that when I
    edit a prototype, I can simply hit return and it will make the change
    and select the prototype field of the next attribute.

    I think a keyboard shortcut for new attributes and relationships, that
    then puts focus on the attribute/relationship name in the list view
    and then being able to complete the attribute definition without
    needing to go back to the mouse would be an incredible increase to
    usability. More so than splitting off the properties pane.

    Oh, and maybe the ability to add and remove columns by right-clicking
    on the column headers?

    > I'm undecided on it at the moment. Just something I'm tossing around.

    I think having the properties pane in Entity Modeler is the right
    place for it, but I think there are other possible UI improvements
    that would provide for a more streamlined workflow and that's the most
    important thing.

    Dave.