Problems on 10.6 with old config after Xcode/iPhone SDK install

From: Thomas Lueger (thoma..peedup.de)
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 04:47:37 EST

    Hello folks,

    about 2 weeks ago we finally upgraded our two development Macs to Mac OS 10.6 (new Macs, yay!).
    We were pleased to see that our current WO/WOLips/WOnder/Eclipse Configuration still was working nearly perfect (only some minor glitches so far).

    The used versions:
    Mac OS: 10.6.2
    WebObjects: 5.3.3
    WOLips: 3.3.5535
    Eclipse 3.3.2

    A little bit old we admit... ;-)

    A week ago I tried to install the current XCode / iPhone SDK on one of the machines (bad idea?) and I realised short after this something referring our WO dev config has been broken.

    On this machine the WO / WOnder frameworks are installed in separate directories in /Developer. The paths to these directories are defined by the file wobuild.properties in ~/Library (old behavior, not the new one with the file in /Application Support/WOLips).
    I tried to restore the previous state (as I had backups of /Developer and /System/Libraries/Frameworks & PrivateFrameworks etc.). But there is still a difference...

    The first error we experienced:
    Calls to NSBundle.mainBundle() did not return the application/woa bundle but instead the bundle to a base framework. As a result of this required resources located in the app directory could not be located. Fatal.

    This can even be reproduced with a newly created HelloWorld.woa. So the error has nothing to do with our application.
    Maybe interesting: Adding a WOUnitTest framework (by adding it in Java Build Path under projects): no problem, mainBundle() returns "woa bundle".
    Adding our base framework (which owns the EOModels etc): mainBundle() returns the base framework bundle - WRONG!

    Some log output about this:

    Correct (without base framework in build path):
    myMainBundle: <com.webobjects.foundation.NSBundle name:'zzTestSimpleWO' bundlePath:'/Users/thomas/projects/eclipseWorkspaces/ws_sensano_current/zzTestSimpleWO/build/zzTestSimpleWO.woa' packages:'("your.app", "your.app.components")' 4 classes >

    Wrong (added base framework to build path):
    myMainBundle: <com.webobjects.foundation.NSBundle name:'MainBundle' bundlePath:'/Users/thomas/projects/eclipseWorkspaces/ws_sensano_current/sensanoBaseFW/build/sensanoBaseFW.framework' packages:'("no.entities.base.generated", … , "no.entities.base", … )' 349 classes >

    This behavior is affecting 3 applications, all of these are using the base framework.
    If we "hack around" the mainBundle() error at least one more fatal error occurs: the EOModel / entities aren't found:

    WARN 21:38:58,874 ERXNSLogLog4jBridge.java:41 - A fatal exception occurred: An object store for the entity "Txxx" could not be found. Verify that the entity is defined in an EOModel, and that the model is installed properly. To see what models are loaded, you can try printing the return value of EOModelGroup.defaultGroup() in your application.

    Of course this worked well on this machine and still works well on the second dev Mac.
    On the second dev Mac all 3 projects still can be built and executed without error - no problems as described above.

    So for now we suspect a "change" on something like paths or environment variables as we think the above described prooves
    - it's not just the frameworks neither the apps
    - it's not just a problem of NSBundle / JavaFoundation

    Any chance of finding and fixing this error?
    Or better start from scratch by installing again WebObjects 5.3.3 and all related stuff? Oh boy...
    Going up to WO 5.4 / newer Eclipse / newer WOLips right now is not the desired solution as our deployment machines depend on this and we have lot of other stuff to do... ;-)

    All helpful hints are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a lot in advance!

    Cheers,

    Thomas Lueger
    sensano AG