building for deployment when multiple WO versions installed?

From: Patrick Robinson (pg..t.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 09:30:54 EST

    There's a wiki page,
        http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Using+WOLips
    +With+Multiple+Versions+of+WebObjects
    that has some "optional" instructions at the bottom for building with
    ant, and I'm having trouble understanding just what these do (and
    don't do) for you. If someone could just confirm or correct my ideas
    here, I'll be happy to update wiki the wiki page(s).

    "OPTIONAL - Setup Eclipse's Ant Builder to use the newly Installed
    Version of WebObjects"
    The suggestion here is to add a "wolips.properties=..." to your
    build.properties. According to Mike's Mar 2009 post at
    wolips.blogspot.com, this can be an absolute or relative path, just
    like Eclipse Preferences => WOLips => Build => WOLips Properties
    File. Although the wiki page doesn't make this clear, it looks to me
    like this is the "project-specific" way to specify a different
    wolips.properties file, whereas Preferences -> WOLips Properties File
    is the "workspace-specific" way. Is that correct?

    And am I also correct that BOTH of these approaches are useful *only*
    in directing Eclipse's internal build/run systems where to find
    wolips.properties, but have little to do with building with ant for
    deployment (that is, neither [right-click build.xml, Run As -> Ant
    Build], nor [WOLips Ant Tools -> Install], nor [ant command line
    build] )?

    The handling of this in the stock build.xml looks like this:
         <property file="build.properties" />
         <property name="wolips.properties" value="${user.home}$
    {file.separator}Library${file.separator}Application Support$
    {file.separator}WOLips${file.separator}wolips.properties" />
         <property file="${wolips.properties}" />

    So you *could* override the "wolips.properties=" property in your
    build.properties; however, a relative filename is *not* going to be
    found, the values in wolips.properties will not be read, and the
    project will not build. And even if you were to specify the absolute
    path to wolips.properties (/Users/me/Library/Application Support/
    WOLips/wolips.something.properties) in your build.properties, OK ...
    the project will build, but the values specified in wolips.properties
    have no effect on what gets done in the ant build. It looks to me
    like the values from wolips.properties are used only in a build for a
    servlet deployment. Is that correct?

    On the other hand, it looks like you could set NEXT_ROOT to point to
    the "base dir" where you've installed WebObjects (on your deployment
    system), and all might go well. As far as I can tell, this appears
    to be the only way to handle the situation where your frameworks are
    in different locations on the development and deployment systems.
    Right? (Of course, other than by embedding...)

    Is this how all of this is intended to work? Yeah, I know I should
    be embedding my frameworks :-) --- we're gonna do that. But in the
    meantime, I'd like to get a handle on how this is designed to work.

    - Patrick