Automatically run EOGenerator

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2010 - 09:50:40 UTC

    Here's my problem (yes, yes, ONE of my problems):

    I am using the "Automatically run EOGenerator" preference (Eclipse -> WOLips -> Build) which triggers an EOGenerate every time a build is triggered. I do this to make sure I don't forget to eogenerate after making changes to my model. It works great and keeps me from checking in model changes without checking in the changed classes. The problem is that it also picks-up all the Wonder .eogen files. This can cause the following problems:

    1) If a Wonder project doesn't have it's own templates it generates using WOLips' templates, which may be different from the ones used to build the revision which can cause compiler errors, or worse, problems that will be hard to diagnose because the _Entity classes won't match what other developers have or the what the binary frameworks have. (

    2) If a Wonder project references templates in other projects that you may not have checked out and they don't depend upon from a build-path perspective (e.g., ERIndexing -> ERCoreBusinessLogic). In this situation EOGenerator _silently_ falls back and uses WOLips' templates. See problem 1.

    I'm not sure what the best solution is. There are several:

    1) Use binary frameworks - yuck
    2) Don't use "Automatically run EOGenerator" - please, let me have another way to shoot myself in the foot
    3) Add preference to "Automatically run EOGenerator" that will allow you to exclude individual projects or all of Wonder somehow - cuz Mike doesn't have enough to do
    4) Add templates to all Wonder projects - simple, but more to maintain in individual projects
    5) In the EOGen editor, make the templates fields popups that only allow selecting templates that are either in WOLips, that project, or are in projects on the build-path, then make EOGenerator capable of pulling the templates out of a binary framework - requires templates to be included as a formal Resource

    I think #4 is the best, least amount of work. What do others think?

    I'll create a Jira for a WOLips or Wonder improvement based on the discussion.

    Dave