Re: TurnKey Installer Components

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..obox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2010 - 12:35:43 UTC

    I think Lachlan's point about permissions is the reason to do this ... If you put it in /Applications, you WILL run into problems, because the natural permissions are to be o-w. Because Eclipse has no concept of privilege escalation, it would then be impossible for you to install new plugins without actually logging in as your admin user and running eclipse, which is really counterintuitive. The only thing you can reasonably do here is give the installing user write permission to the app, which means that it should probably then be off the ~ hierarchy.

    Regardless, I think this is REALLY minor decision and it's gotten way more column inches than it deserves.

    ms