Re: TurnKey Installer Components

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..obox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2010 - 14:01:36 UTC

    I don't share my machine (and I kind of doubt anyone does), but it does feel dirty to have an installer that puts a writable application into /Applications.

    We really only have two choices here:

    1) /Applications/Eclipse.app and world(ish) writable

    2) ~/Applications/Eclipse.app and slightly untypical (though it actually is supported by OS X as a legitimate "Applications" folder)

    I lean towards option 2 at this point because it does seem like a writable /Applications entry is wrong and unsafe. That we dropped it in ~/Applications is just such a small obstacle to overcome -- open the folder at the end of the install process, or mention it in the dialog at the end. For that matter, people probably use spotlight to launch apps anyway. I don't even know where some of my apps are installed because of that.

    I'd say just let Jeremy make the call when he makes the installer.

    ms