Re: WOLips Ant build ignoring wolips.properties

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 12:11:43 UTC

    On Oct 19, 2010, at 7:00 AM, Kieran Kelleher wrote:

    > Dave,
    >
    > wolips.properties *is* a property containing a path name for the normal project build.xml (if you opened build.xml and looked at it you would see), so you need:
    >
    > ant -Dwolips.properties=~/Library/Application Support/WOLips/wolips.properties clean build install

    Hey Kieran,

    Thanks, but that doesn't help when I want to use the Built-in WOLips Install functionality by right-clicking on the project and selecting WOLips Ant Tools -> Install

    With that said, I figured it out with help from David LeBer:

    In the build.properties file I need to set:

    wolips.properties=/Developer/WebObjects/Versions/WebObjects543/wolips.properties

    Which will tell Ant to use that property file. The problem is that others on the team may not have their wolips.properties file in the same location so if they are trying to build the project too, theirs will break.

    So, in the end, while this gets things working, it's a lurking gotcha for the first time someone uses a custom wolips.properties file in a location other than the default. Either WOLips' built in Ant functionality will not work (as in my case) or far worse, it will appear to work but use a property file other than the one that I specified in the WOLips preferences.

    What do we do about that? I feel that if you set a custom wolips.properties file, everything you do within WOLips should use that file.

    I understand that it's dangerous/bad/evil/risking-the-wrath-of-anjo to make changes to the build.properties file that are user-specific so we really shouldn't write the location there, but how else do we tell an Ant build from within WOLips to use the custom wolips.properties file?

    Dave