Re: Deployment throw DirectConnect

From: Ralf Liebenow (ral..heco.de)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 20:49:01 UTC

    Hi All !

    Maybe I am wrong, but we have done that in the past, so the following should
    be true:

      -- Concurrent Request handling is not limited through direct connect.
         It is only configured through a command line parameter ...

      -- of course you can use SSL if you connect through Apache + mod_proxy.
         But note, that some SSL related Request Headers are only set through
         the Adaptor and not when using mod_proxy (with mod_proxy you have others).
         This is also true for Host IP headers ... so if your application uses
         standard WO Request headers to detect SSL or originating IP you have
         to use the adaptor.

         The WO itself has no SSL capability.

      -- you dont need Monitor or WoTaskd. Actually the lifebeat that wotaskd uses
         to determine that an application is running is really pathetic. This is
         because that one is running in its own thread, so not all hang-conditions
         are determined by wotaskd (for this to really work we developed some
         kind of watchdog within an WO Application, which can detect some deadlock
         situations inside the WO App and kill itself, so that the wotaskd can
         then restart it).

         Of course you can accomplish similar things using launchd on OSX (we've
         done that) or for Linux by an entry in /etc/inittab (respawn): Those will restart the
         App if the JVM ends (but not when the App deadlocks). Just like wotaskd
         does it.

      -- its even possible to create a self contained application which bundles
         the complete WO deployment frameworks. We have made such applications
         which do not require any WO deployment installation, but can just
         be started with a simple start-script, the only requirement is
         the necessary Java JVM. Calling this with launchd or
         init makes the simplest possible way to install a WO application.
         (if you are interested in a sample launchd plist ... I have one).

      Greets
         Ralf

    --
    theCode AG