Re: exceptions executing runtests.bat

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 17:32:52 EDT

    At 03:12 PM 6/18/2002 -0600, Schneider, Eric wrote:
    >I'm having trouble running the cayenne test scripts after installation of
    >version 1.0a1.
    >
    >Here's what I've done so far:
    >
    >Extracted cayenne-src-1.0a1.tar.gz to:
    >D:\cayenne-1.0a1
    >
    >Installed the j2se 1.4.0_01 to:
    >D:\jdk1.4.0
    >
    >Set the following env variables:
    >CAYENNE_HOME = D:\cayenne-1.0a1
    >JAVA_HOME = D:\jdk1.4.0
    >
    >Copied the cayenne.jar to:
    >D:\jdk1.4.0\jre\lib\ext

    This is Java ClassLoader thing. I can reproduce it exactly the way you say.
    We've been struggling with it in Cayenne for quiet a while. See
    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/faq.html question #1. We fixed most work
    scenarios, but I guess, not the unit tests. The problem is that classes in
    cayenne.jar that sits in lib/ext are loaded by bootstrap ClassLoader, while
    tests and test resources - by the app ClassLoader. And parent ClassLoader
    can't access its child.

    Quick fix - put these JARS from cayenne distro into lib/ext

    - cayenne.jar
    - cayenne-tests.jar
    - junit.jar
    - ant.jar

    Real fix - submit a bug on this, we will fix unit tests using the advise
    from our own FAQ :-).

    Andrus