EmbeddedDriver performance help

From: Lachlan Deck (lachla..sh.com.au)
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 20:29:45 EDT

    Hi all,

    I've been testing an initial population of a Derby database with some
    30-40000 records and am finding a large performance difference
    between using the EmbeddedDriver vs the ClientDriver i.e., depending
    on whether Derby is run as an embedded or network service for the
    application.

    Using the Embedded driver seems to take an order of magnitude longer
    than not (e.g., 2-3 hours vs 15 minutes)!

    We'd like to use an embedded Derby for deployment but this is
    unacceptably slow. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing
    this?

    I'm not that familiar with Cayenne as yet (but am with EOF), so is
    there some way in Cayenne of adjusting the settings at run time (or
    other) for the JDBC connection?

    Perhaps Derby's default locking scheme is getting deadlocked
    somewhere or perhaps the Embedded Driver has some problems. Any
    pointers would be greatly appeciated.

    Thanks.

    Lachlan Deck
    lachla..sh.com.au