My background info

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 15:51:40 EDT

    Just as a FYI about me,

    I'm a self-employed consultant, and I've currently got two clients.

    The first one is an online gaming service (turn-based
    space-strategy/diplomacy, 16-players-per-game) I implemented where the
    server is written in WebObjects 5 and OpenBase. Originally prototyped in
    Visual Basic and Access at customer's request, but thankfully out of that
    phase! http://www.intelgames.com

    The second one is an electric utility where I've implemented and deployed an
    online billing and payment processing system (http://www.gvebill.com) in
    WebObjects 5.0 and Oracle. For political reasons, I've been asked to
    "consider" migrating it to Struts back in March (ironically right after the
    system was presented at an Ebill Conference as an example of how to produce
    a ebpp system with record low costs and ahead of schedule). The actual
    migration (the "consider" turned out to be an order, not a request) started
    in the middle of August.

    I originally chose Toplink as our database layer out of Toplink, Oracle
    BC4J, SimpleORM, Hibernate, Expresso, and Cayenne based primarily on
    information found at

    http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?ObjectRelationalToolComparison

    and

    http://www.uq.net.au/~zzabergl/simpleorm/ORMTools.html

    I'm now reconsidering that decision because a) Toplink supplies source, but
    only at the interface level, not the implementation level as previously
    thought, b) There's no visible user community presence or any online
    presence other than Oracle documentation and one not-altogether-favorable
    user experiences web page:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TopLinkForJavaUsageExperiences, c) The GUI mapping
    tool is interface bloatware -- it's easier to write the model files by hand
    or convert them from a different modeling tool, d) may not be as reliable as
    expected based on previously-mentioned reviews, and e) has poor in-depth
    documentation.

    Cayenne seemed promising at the time, but there were too many unknowns on
    the ObjectRelationalToolComparison chart at the time and no optimistic
    locking. I think you should make it a priority to keep the
    ObjectRelationalToolComparison as up-to-date as possible as it seems to be
    becoming one of the primary sites where people go to investigate and compare
    database layer productions. You might also try to provide more info for the
    ORMTools.html page as well.

    Now that I can load my EOModel, I'm going to give Cayenne a try.

    [Another side project I may start soon is the port of PopOver to java.
    It's taken a year or so, but Jason finally gave me the source yesterday! No
    reason you Mac OS X people should be the only ones with a decent email
    client!]

    And, yeah, I'm becoming another Eclipse user. Too bad I can't find the
    equivalent to WO5 ProjectBuilder's "Project Find Panel" so I can do global
    find-and-replace operations. :-(

    -Mike